Checklist - Preparing your home for sale
First impressions count! This expression couldn't apply more to the Real Estate industry. That's why it's important that your house looks its best while it's on the market. And, as there's no doubt that presentation adds value to your home, we've included a checklist to help you prepare your home for showing.
View our e-book - Pathway to Preparing Your Home for Sale:
- Paint work in good repair - discuss with sales consultant if major work is still to be done.
- Street number and tidy letter box in easy to see position.
- Spouting cleaned and in good repair.
- Garage/carport clean and tidy.
- Rubbish tidy and cleared away.
- Any cracked or broken windows repaired.
- Hedges & shrubs trimmed, edges and lawns cut.
- Ensure the entrance way is clean, tidy and uncluttered.
- Door bell works.
General Interior Impressions
- All chipped paint and cracked plaster repaired. Wallpaper tidy.
- Check all door, window and cupboard latches open and close easily.
- Lights all work - if needed leave some lights on to create atmosphere.
- Heat home if weather is cool.
- Ensure halls/stairways are tidy and free of clutter.
- Curtains should be open, carpets freshly vacuumed.
- If possible, have cut flowers in various rooms.
- All surfaces - mirrors, fixtures, taps cleaned and polished.
- All taps in good order.
- Seals around bath and basin in good repair.
- Floors cleaned, rubbish containers emptied.
- Cupboards and cabinets tidy inside.
- Sinks and taps cleaned and polished.
- All appliances cleaned.
- Small appliances should be put away to avoid a cluttered look.
- Benches cleaned and polished. Cupboards and pantry neat and tidy.
- Jewellery and valuables locked away safely or taken with you.
- Valuables, such as art, vases, figurines and mementos are safely situated or locked away.
Creating an Atmosphere
- Try to make your home as warm and inviting as possible by using some of the tips detailed under general interior impressions. You could also have light music playing in the background.
- Also, if possible, pets should be absent during showing.